Every year, Solent Speakers Club celebrates the outstanding achievement, and commitment of our members by presenting a range of awards at our very own Oscars Night Celebration.
On Tuesday 29th July, 2014 we gathered in the Lysses Hotel in Fareham for the 2013/2014 Awards ceremony. (The toastmasters year runs from 1st July to 32st June)
Our deserving award winner this year are:
- Best Evaluator - Gavin Meikle
- Best table Topics Speaker - David Cockerham
- Best Speaker - Russell Streeter
- Newcomer of the Year - Gary Evans-Osgood
- IPP Award for Innovation - Gavin Meikle
- Membership Award - Russell Streeter
- Founders Award - Gavin Meikle
- Public Relations Award - Robin Chawner
- Treasury Award - Michelle Baker
- Club Officer of the Year - Michelle Baker
- Toastmaster of the Year - Antonia Harrison
- Community Voice Award - Sarah from the Prince's Trust Programme at Highbury College
- Bon Oeuf Award - Gavin Meikle
After the awards ceremony, and the obligatory bubbly and cake break, we reconvened to challenge our impromptu speaking skills under the expert guidance of Marian Way. Marian always comes up with something a bit out of the ordinary and this was no different.
She came armed with pile of books and invited members of the audience to select a book and then a section of the book and then a paragraph at random. She then read out the first sentence of the chosen paragraph and invited a member of the audience to give a two minute speech, incorporating the words or ideas she had just read out! Many members found this a challenging session but the worthy winner, as voted by the members in attendance was our very own Hogwarts Head Boy, Steve Green.
See the award winners pictures here