The Greeter’s role is to welcome everyone to the club meeting, particularly visitors and people who are new to Toastmasters. Making everyone feel welcome at our club is important, as this may be the start of their Toastmasters journey.
Prior to the Meeting:
Confirm on line that you have accepted the role and that you will be attending the meeting.
At The Meeting:
Arrive in plenty of time before the meeting, preferably around 6:30 pm. As guests arrive:
- Introduce yourself
- Give them a Guest’s name badge
- Ask them to sign the back of their badge, explaining that we will add their e-mail address to our guest list so that they can receive notices of future meetings.
- Explain what is going to happen during the meeting and ensure that they have an agenda. In particular, mention:
- No one has to speak if they do not want to, but at the beginning of the meeting everyone will be invited to stand up and introduce themselves
- At the end of the meeting they will have the opportunity they will be asked to stand up and say what they thought of the meeting. If they do not want to do this, notify the Toastmaster.
- Introduce the guest to the Toastmaster and ensure he/she has the guest’s name
- Show them to a seat
- Explain that everyone is asked to assist speakers by completing an evaluation form for Prepared Speeches. Check that the guest has:
- a pen
- evaluation forms, explaining the different form for icebreaker speeches if applicable
- Ask another member to sit beside them and explain what is happening as the meeting progresses.
At the Break and at the End of the Meeting
Check in with the guest and ask if they need anything or need additional information. Direct them to other members if they ask a question to which you do not have the answer. Ask them if they would like a membership form if appropriate. If they decide they want to join, ask the Vice President of Membership about the possibility of paying by credit card.